15 August 2012

Quality vs. Quantity

I constantly see performers struggle in keeping up excellent personal voice practice. Think you need a good hour? Two? 

You're mistaken and it comes down to one thing:
Truffles Anyone?

My father wisely taught me this lesson when I was young: Go for quality and you’ll never be sorry.

I apply this to many areas in my life: my shoes, food, education (also, my husband would like me to make special mention of him here); but none more so than my voice work.

I’m busy, so busy thanks to my wonderful and ever growing flock of students, and so I have learned to use my time wisely.

Here are several ways you to turn your short voice sessions (either daily routine or warm-up) into quality time:

A Good Focus:
So you have 20 minutes** set aside? Spend the first 3 minutes focusing your senses and you’ll get more from the remaining 17 than you might imagine. Also, tailor this focus to the area you are particularly addressing today. (For more info on this, contact me)

Clear your Space:
I learned from the wonderful Bryce Ives that a clear space is necessary to create art. Get rid of the crap surrounding you, this includes bags, mess and general paraphernalia. If at home, light a candle or two, welcome your art by giving it some respect and space. Get rid of any white noise. And, for goodness sake, turn off your phone and computer - they will only serve to distract you.

Challenge Yourself:
It is really easy to work on all the things we are good at - and we just roll along in a world of bliss and good vibration - but you’ll never actually improve. Put in some of the hard yards. Don’t flounder - have a clear, concise and progressive plan.

Bring Enjoyment Into your Session:

Enjoy yoga? Doing Zen Zen Zo? Love your Alexander or Feldenkrais technique? Well, combine it into your voice session and reap the benefits.

Morning Papers:
For those not familiar with The Artist’s Way, you might want to look it up. Morning papers are part of this amazing program....they manage to halt that invasion of crap that interferes with one’s head at the most inappropriate times and also may help you to structure your warm ups to be more effective within your overall artistry.

Last of all......
Enjoy this time with yourself. You work hard for it and it will only make you a stronger and more flexible artist.

**I’m not putting a time estimate on your voice work. I can manage a good one in 20 minutes, but we all work at various rhythms and this can vary widely according to circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment